Since we had a 3D model ready for print, we decided to get that started firsthand. This was primarily to get a feeling of how long the print would take and also to get a good image of how the support structures would turn out, warping, how planar a surface we could obtain and so on. Since the model is quite big, and we had a short time slot at the 3D printer we decided to bring the resolution down to a minimum. The print took us 5 hours and was not even half the size, so we have some optimizing to work with the time as well.

IMG_6404.JPG
Test printing 1/3 of the real sized speaker. The printing is in very low resolution but primarily this was to test the direction of printing.

From here we could now move on to decide a final structure and shape for the speaker. The asymmetric prototype turned out better than expected, shape wise, and we decided to change up the more symmetric design to something closer to the shape shown below.IMG_6416

IMG_6414
The asymmetric prototype. We decided that the more exaggerated shape gave exactly the expression we where looking for.

Once the decision about the asymmetric shape was made this led to som constraints towards the front designs. Of course we are still sticking to the idea of users being able to design af laser cut their own front design, but for our primary prototype we will have to have a calmer front to create balance in the design. Of course this will have to be tested – so stay tuned for next weeks posts.

IMG_6412.JPG
Shape of screw holes to avoid support structure.

We added some inner details to the model such as screw holes to mount the wooden handle from the inside. With the print direction in mind we applied holes that were cut off at the top to avoid support structures in the holes.

 

Further more we discussed how the front cover should meet the rest of the speaker and discussed a lot back and forward. We ended up deciding that the most aesthetic way would be without a visual frame when seen from the front. This is also shown in cross-section below. This though leads to another challenge which is yet to be solved – how do we ensure that the front cover stays in place and does not come on crooked?

img_6411-jpg-e1490021480870.jpeg
Cross-section of connection between cover and speaker.

Lastly shown photos of the model as it ended up today. The larger speaker is placed in the bottom (when hanging) even though the speaker would look the same hanging either way, the wire socket still dictates a direction for up and down. This is decision is made to bring the center of mass to the most favorable spot. This also means that even though there has appeared some space next to the speakers the have to be fixed on the center line of the product.

Capture.PNG2

Capture
Final look of 3D sketch. There still has to be done some fine tuning of the inner structure, but the outside is really starting to take shape towards a final solution.

.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s