In week 4 we had chance to look at and discuss the first full-scale prototype. We primarily discussed five topics:
- The depth of the speaker
After we tried to fit the different pieces of the inside components in the shell, we discovered that it wasn’t deep enough.
Therefore we had to compromise a bit with our vision of the “narrow” speaker, by adding an additional centimeter to the depth. Although it is not much, this will then take up some more space in the kitchen, but it is necessary for the components to fit in to our chosen shape.
- Rough surfaces
One of the surfaces was surprisingly bad, even with the low resolution chosen this looked very wrong. We concluded that this was because of the print orientation and perhaps we need more support structures for future print to come across this issue.
- The assembly of the speaker
As hoped the surface that has to be connected with the other half of the speaker turned out to be very planar and confirms the assumption of the print direction being favorable in regards of assembly. Furthermore as assumed we did not have any problems with warping with this print direction as well.
Another aspect has now crossed our mind, regarding whether there will be enough surface to glue the two parts together. After discussion with experts we have come up with a solution to make the parts connect better. This solution contains adding or subtracting small trapeze shapes to the connecting surfaces, so they will connect just like a puzzle. The trapezes shape was chosen to get an optimal angle of slip.
- The connection between the shell and the mounting surface
Our plan with the printed prototype was to glue the mounting surface to the shell. After discussing this, we agreed upon changing to assemble the two parts by using bolts. This choice was made because by screwing the two parts together, makes it easier to disassemble the speaker and replace broken components if needed.
- The front cover
To ensure the front cover will stay in place we simply place both the magnets so they are lowered down into the cabinet. The magnets used have certain positions were they fit and positions were they don’t. This will help to ensure that the front cover will only have one correct position.
Furthermore we got to discuss the design of the front covers. Some suggestions cam up and are shown below. With these proposals we still have to adjust for the amount of material covering the speakers and the calmness of the design. The speakers have to be covered no less than 30 percent of their surface. We also wanted a quite calm look to accompany the asymmetric three-dimensional shape which means we might have to modify a bit.
We ended the day by starting the final 3D printing, since the design has gotten a shape that we are satisfied with and hopefully the things we have learned will give us a succesful result.