It was finally time to collect everything so that everything would all come together as the final product.

Starting out we tried setting up all the six stipulates with LEDs to make sure everything worked smoothly and as it should. This was quite a challenge since the wirering for just one RGB LED strip needed 4 pins including the three colors connected to a transistor. Perhaps overly complicated but the only way we could get all of our LED strips to function as we wanted.

IMG_1194.JPG
Testing LED strips and their buttons. In the lower left corner is shown our mechanism to protect the button from being squished. 

After some time we finally got it all to work as we wanted, although the blue color in the RGB strips seemed to struggle quite a bit, and somehow the mixing of colors became more and more difficult when the blue color had such low intensity. This we came around by choosing colors that you could still tell apart even if the blue color did not quite work as intended. When mounting everything together we did have to take out some pins and plug them back in which unfortunately turned out to cause us more issues than imagined. We ended up having to do the whole pin setup all over again and we finally found the sinner.

Shift_registers_1_bb
A schematic view of the setup of the pushbuttons and RGB LEDs.

Ever since we collected our motors we have had quite some trouble with them. This might also be the reason why this table had ben thrown out in the first place. We constantly get the motors to work and then suddenly it stops working and we do not know why. This has resulted in many times of mounting and demounting the motors trying to fix it by opening up the motor cabinet and connecting them to an extern power supply.

IMG_1213
Opening up motors trying to figure out what is wrong. 

 

Our project has furthermore contained of a lot of soldering since all the LED strips needed longer wires and can be detached from the main bench.

IMG_1218
Soldering.

Collecting everything in the bench was made easier by having the outer shell being mounted as the last part of the proces. We did learn the hard way that wirehandling is very important since we ended up cutting over the power supply for the height adjustment with its own power. Luckily this was just soldered back together and turned out to work just at fine as before. The smaller wires connected to the arduino and nodeMCU were all gathered in a small plexi-box in the middle of the structure, protecting the somewhat sensitive setup. This made it possible for us to test and upload new codes without having to take everything apart. Step by step we tested and managed to get all the functionality running until we could finally screw on the outer shell and get put the missing pieces together.

IMG_1202

The video shows a brief look of the somehow confusing pin setup which definitely made troubleshooting one of the hardest elements of the project. Luckily in the end, it all turned out good as shown on picture below.

vlcsnap-2017-06-21-12h23m30s174.png
The final look of the prototype. 
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s